If you didn’t know any better, you would think that Proactiv products are the Holy Grail of skin care products. I mean look at all those commercials with celebrities and other people with clear skin.
In reality, Proactiv is a scam. A farce. A lie.
If you think about it, if a company that needs to spend millions of dollars more than it’s competitors advertising it’s products, there is probably something suspect about that company. Take for example Cetaphil products. My family and I have used them for years, and I’ve never seen a commercial for their products. Their products sell themselves on their quality.
What is Proactiv?
Here’s brief overview of what Proactiv consists of:
Proactiv’s primary product is a three-part acne treatment kit that includes a cleanser, toner, and treatment. The kit’s only active ingredient, benzoyl peroxide, is a common compound used for acne treatment that kills acne-causing bacteria dries out whiteheads and has anti-inflammation properties... The toner contains witch hazel, which reduces facial oil… (Wikipedia)
To me there are two things that stick out right away:
- These products and ingredients can be found in any drug store or pharmacy, and
- These products do nothing to solve the root causes of acne (i.e. Vitamin and mineral deficiencies, hormonal imbalances, poor digestive health etc.)
A Further Look
Let’s take a look at the actual Proactiv Products. Let’s go with the Proactiv+ 3 step kit. For the price of $29.95, you get the following:
- Skin Smoothing Exfoliator
- Pore Targeting Treatment
- Complexion Perfecting Hydrator
If you look at the composition of these items, you’ll notice that the first two items have Benzoyl Peroxide as the active ingredient, and the third one uses Salicylic acid. We already know that Proactiv does nothing to treat the root causes of acne, but by taking an in depth look at the actual products you will notice that:
- You are being overcharged for typical over the counter skin care products and,
- There is a heavy dependence on Benzoyl Peroxide which I recommend you only use in moderation.
Why Proactiv is a Scam
The definition of a scam is a “dishonest scheme”, and I believe the Proactiv system fits that definition for a few reasons
- They charge excessive amounts: There 3 step kit listed above costs $29.95. You can walk into a pharmacy and find similar products for half the price. They charge so much because their marketing is so good they can sucker people into buying it.
- It’s on a subscription basis: If the products are so good, people should be running back for more and shouldn’t be forced to buy a subscription. This is simply a way to trap people into shelling out tons of money for their inferior products.
- Causes a dependence on the products: My recommendations for Benzoyl Peroxide are to only use it when a large blemish will or has surfaced. Otherwise, it’s pointless to use because it doesn’t solve the root problems of acne, it only treats the problems on the surface as a band-aid fix.
- Exaggerate claims and results: If you look at commercials, it’s oly people with mild acne that are shown in ‘before and after’ shots. The photos are often digitally enhanced and he actors in the commercials appear with makeup.
I’m sure you’ve heard the Colgate ads that say “4 out of 5 dentists recommend Colgate”. While I’ll take that with a grain of salt, I don’t doubt it entirely as my dad was a dentist and recommends Colgate.
If you talk to any dermatologist, I can almost guarantee they will say Proactiv is bologna. While Western medicine, specifically skin care, has its shortcomings, I’ll take my advice from a licensed, practicing dermatologist than an A-List Hollywood celebrity any day.
I was fortunate to have a good dermatologist who told me this years back. Now, of course dermatologists wouldn’t recommend Proactiv anyway because they make no money from it, but regardless I believe their opinion is still valid.
So what does work?
I have my free Quick Start Guide laid out for you. It’s short and concise, but will walk you through everything you need to know about getting rid of acne step by step.
Also, if you ever have any questions or comments don’t hesitate to contact me.